Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Monday!

It's Monday!  Beginning of another fabulous week.

This weekend I did a couple loads of laundry and put them away (huge accomplishment for me!), cooked dinner Friday night, worked Saturday, and had a girly movie marathon Sunday along with my normal Sunday chores.

I thought today I'd share my "chore" schedule with you. I've found if I do things on a schedule, I'm more likely to remember to change the sheets before it's been a month, or clean the toilet before it has a yucky ring around it. Things stay a lot cleaner, so you don't have to work so hard to clean them.  Add to that a feeling of accomplishment and I think this is a keeper.

My schedule starts on Sunday and goes through Thursday.  I'm still working out the kinks and adding/rewording things so bear with me!

Sunday (Trash)
  • Empty all trashcans
  • Wipe out trashcans
  • Clean out refrigerator
  • Take garbage to curb
My garbage day is Monday morning and they like to show up around 0830am so I try to have everything out the night before just in case I'm not up yet.  Little secret though, I have done the mad trashcan dash in my pj's more than once.  Oops!

Monday (Bedrooms)
  • Dust bedrooms (furniture, fans, light fixtures etc.)
  • Wash sheets or covers/mattress pad
  • Vacuum floors
  • Make bed with clean sheets
It feels good to start the week with a clean bed!  I mainly use 2 sets of sheets, so I alternate these. I wash the sheets together in one load one week, and the next week I wash the covers/mattress pad.  On the weeks I'm not washing the covers, I vacuum them using my pet hair dust buster. I also spray the bed/mattress pad with Febreeze (Downy April Fresh scent) to add to that wonderfully clean smell.  

Tuesday (Kitchen/Laundry)
  • Wipe out microwave
  • Clean stove
  • Wipe down shelves/counters/table
  • Vacuum kitchen/laundry
  • Steam mop kitchen/laundry
  • Wash Lily (my dog) bed covers/throw rugs
I have a glass top stove, so I use Weisman glass top cleaning wipes throughout the week, but give it a good cleaning/scraping on Mondays.  I also actually wipe down the counters and table and vacuum due to the dog hair and tracking stuff inside every day.  I use a steam mop in the kitchen and laundry. I alternate washing bed covers and rugs between weeks.

Wednesday (Bathrooms)
  • Clean sinks, shower, tub, toilets
  • Shake out rugs
  • Vacuum floors
  • Steam mop floors
  • Wash rugs or towels (alternating weeks)
Bathrooms are pretty self explanatory.  I am in love with 2 cleaners in particular.  I love Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (in the blue bottle).  I have hard water and when I moved in the toilets had rust rings.  I tried everything you could think of including CLR.  The only thing that worked was this Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.  I've used it ever since.  I also am in love with Method Daily Shower spray.  It smells amazing and helps to keep the glass on our shower doors clean.

Thursday (Entry/Living/Dining Rooms)
  • Dust
  • Wash blankets
  • Vacuum upholstery
  • Spray upholstery with Febreeze
  • Wipe down remotes/ tray in front of couch and table in front room with Lysol wipes
  • Vacuum floors
Thursday by far has the most work/rooms.  It really doesn't take that long though.  I've never timed myself, but I'd say maybe an hour or so.  Depends on if I mop or not.  I have hardwood floors throughout my house and don't want to damage them, so I mop them using a steam mop about once a month (except for the kitchen/laundry and bathrooms are weekly).

Because of my work schedule I shuffle things around a bit.  If I'm not home one day, I catch up over the next day or two.

I recommend scheduling your cleaning.  It may sound silly, but it's a whole lot better than just cleaning things when they get dirty.  This way they stay clean and everyone is much happier and less stressed!  Add to this the daily cleaning items from the Happy House Challenge and you have a nice clean house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...